5G is the short name of 5th Generation which was started from the late 2010s. It is a complete wireless communication with almost no limitations. 5G Technology uses OFDM and data rate of 20 Mbps. It will have frequency band of 2-8 GHz. It will support interactive multimedia, voice, streaming, video, Internet and others. It is a packet based network system which main moto is to use less energy and radio spectrum while delivering speeds faster than current 4G Technology. It will seem to be a real wireless world with incredible transmission speed.
- It is a packet switched wireless system with wide area coverage and high throughput. 5G Technology will seem to be a new mobile revolution in mobile market. It has extraordinary data capabilities.
- It has also to tie together unrestricted call volumes and infinite data broadcast within mobile operating system. It is going to be a major phase of telecommunication beyond the current 4G standard.
Features of 5G Technology:
5G Technology offers a various range of features and characteristics which are going to be very beneficial for people of all categories like learners, professionals (Teachers, Doctors, Engineers, Businessmen, Administrative Bodies, Governing Bodies, etc.) and even for a common people. Such as:
- It will have 100 times more devices.
- It’s response time is faster than previous networks.
- It will offer platform – enabling services for vertical markets.
- It’s battery lifetime will be long.
- It will have wide range of applications.
- It uses network slicing to deploy multiple virtual 5G networks on common infrastructure.
- Will have virtually ‘0’ Latency.
- Will have very high data rate.
- Will have very high capability.
- It is estimated that 5G will have 10 GBPS broadband speeds with peaks of 20 GBPS.
- It will unite wireless, wireline and satellite services under common structure.
- It will have ubiquitous connectivity.
- It offers reliability, mobility, resilience and security.
- It will accelerate service delivery at lower cost.
- It will automate many network behaviors.
- Network Function Virtualization.
- It offers millimeter wave and Terahertz band.
- Will have more software option to upgrade.
Use Cases of 5G Technology:
- 5G Technology will be used widely in research programs.
- It will be used in Industry Automation.
- Gigabytes in a second.
- Smart vehicles, Transport.
- Work and play in the cloud.
- Mission Critical application.
- UHD screens and 3D video.
- Media everywhere.
- It will be used in Education Programs.
- It will be used in Data Management.
- Broadband Experience.
- Interaction Human.
- Critical control of remote devices.
- Augmented reality.
- Value Creation.
- Human Machine Interaction.
- Sensor Networks.
- Health Service and emergency response.
- New form factors.
- Smart home/ buildings/ cities.
- Wearable’s, sensors and remote control.
5G Race in 2019
European Telecommunication standards Institute has formulated 5G global Technology standards, which are likely to be formalized by 2019.
Telecom Companies like Nokia, Ericsson, NTT DoComo, Samsung, Huawei and Fujitsu are driving bulk of the 5G related innovations. If the global standards are finalized by 2019, 5G will be completely available within 2020.
Samsung and Verizon (VZ) jointly announced that the companies would sell a 5G smartphone in the first half of 2019. Although Samsung and Verizon didn’t say which phone will support 5G, Samsung has announced it’s latest Galaxy S smartphone in the spring.
If 5G will be launched in 2019, it will take a long time to cover the whole world. Firstly, it will be available in some selected cities of western countries and then it will be available in other countries. 4G took a long time to reach worldwide but 5G seems to be faster than 4G. However, it is hoped that 5G is going to be completely available within 2020.
The 5G connectivity will be ready for prime time in 2019. The software is being tested, the hardware is in the works, and the carriers are readying their plans to flip the switch to their 5G networks in the first half of 2019.
Advantages of 5G Technology:
There is no doubt that, 5G will offer wide range of advantages which will turn the world into real wireless world. The advantages of 5G are:
- It will be possible to provide uniform, uninterrupted, and consistent connectivity across the world.
- It will be easily manageable with the previous generations.
- 5G is the technology to gather all networks on one platform.
- It will offer High resolution and bi-directional large bandwidth shaping for mad mobile users.
- It will be available at low cost.
- 5G will be more effective and efficient.
- 5G will be the Technology to facilitate subscriber supervision tools for the quick action.
- People will enjoy data bandwidth of 1 GBPS or higher.
- It offers global access and service portability.
- It offers very high uploading and downloading speed.
- 5G offers 10* connection density, 10* decrease in latency, 3* spectrum efficiency, 10* throughput, 100* traffic capacity, 100* network.
Disadvantages of 5G Technology:
Though 5G will give us the huge opportunity of wireless connection it has some disadvantages also. Such as:
- 5G technology is still under process and research on it’s viability is going on.
- Developing it’s infrastructure needs higher cost.
- Many of the old devices wouldn’t be competent with 5G, hence they should be replaced with one- expensive deal.
- Security and Privacy issues of 5G are yet to be solved.
- Offering wider coverage would be a challenge, because higher frequencies could be blocked by High buildings and they lose intensity over longer distances.
Solutions to the Challenges of 5G Technology:
- Deploy a hyper scale assurance platform that enables closed-loop assurance automation across virtual hybrid networks, providing a real- time multilayer topology view, data analytics and key insights into the network.
- Deploy Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Build automations into the network.
- Use of smart antennas to boost implementation of 5G.
- Mobile Edge Computing and Software Define Network.
Applications of 5G:
The arrival of 5G will bring significant applications in various fields:
- 5G will set a uniform global standard for all users around the world.
- It will boost the availability of network and will allow people to use their computers and smartphones 24*7 indoors and outdoors.
- It will transform the world into Wi-fi zone.
- With it’s strong signals and network, people will be able to use their devices at higher altitude also.